Wednesday, October 26, 2011

MCIAA Update + Office Ambience

Alright, so unfortunately we're still waiting for the new My Cat Is An Alien LP to arrive. It should be any day now. To those who pre-ordered, sorry for the wait. I'll round up some kind of special gift for all of you. Honestly, it'll be worth the delay. In the meantime, here's some music we've been digging out at the DIVORCE headquarters.....................





London, Ontario's Nihilist Spasm Band have been making free form noise since the mid sixties, meaning they are arguably one of the first actual noise bands in history. They make their own instruments and have been performing every Monday night in their hometown for the last 30 years. All the albums I've heard are no doubt interesting, but if you can find them, the two absolute gems are 'What About Me' (1992) and 'No Record' (1968). http://www3.sympatico.ca/pratten/NSB/

_______





When I first heard this Brooklyn noise outfit I was reminded of the early work of one of my favorite bands, Zoviet France. Although the approach is different here, The Opponents deliver in drone with a similar gloom and ambience. Perfect music for sitting alone staring into the darkness for hours on end. http://www.opponentsnyc.com/

_______




Big thanks to Jesse Locke and Weird Canada for tipping me off to this one. I just got the LP in the mail today. Kyle Bobby Dunn makes haunting neo-classical drone. Equally informed by modern ambient and minimalist music as it is by traditional classical, his latest album Ways of Meaning is an incredibly rich, profound listen unlike anything I've heard in a longtime. The track above is from an earlier record which I hope to track down ASAP. Settle down and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment